Pages

Sat 14th Feb 2009

As part of our job, my colleagues and I have to work occasional over time on evenings and weekends. Today was one of those days for me. I can just imagine the reasoning that must have gone into the rostering process;
“Well that hellish, marathon 12 hour shift’s gonna be a tough one to get covered. Not only is it a Saturday, it falls on Valentine’s Day too! Hang on a sec… I’ve just thought of someone who definitely won’t have any plans that day…”

That’s exactly how I reckon I got landed with it. What gets me is how presumptive it all seems. How should they know I had no intentions?

“Sorry I already have Valentines plans.” I recall trying to protest at the time.
But apparently sitting in a darkened room, wanking with tears in your eyes, doesn’t constitute as ‘Valentines plans’ in their eyes. So I ended up working.
Another year passes in which I am persecuted for being unloved.

No comments: