Pages

Fri 27th Mar 2009

A long day at work today. Had to work late. We had a band called N-Dubz appearing. No, I’d not really heard of them either. They are a band for the kids. The kids absolutely love them they do. Yep – they’re certainly hip with da kids, them N-Dubz are. And when I say “the kids” love em, I really do mean THE KIDS. Most of the audience were about 14 years old. Should I feel fortunate to be somehow involved at the pulse of this apparently, cutting-edge phenomena? Well let me tell you, working with N-Dubz does not make me feel hip. I’m just too old to be feeling it; too preoccupied by the worry that I’m some sort of surrogate guardian of a room full of squawking juveniles. They’re nothing like the ill-at-ease, angst-ridden teenagers of my day. They get all excitable about stuff. They run about being all self-assured; screaming and fainting and always seem on the verge of some hyper-actively inspired misbehaviour. Ordinarily I would feel uncomfortable being in the presence of four of them sitting on the back seat of a bus journey I was sharing, but being responsible for the welfare of a thousand of the buggers is inevitably makes for a buttock clenching evening from start to finish. I go through the night with an anticipation of dread that all this young energy will bubble up and explode into some sort of disastrous consequence which I would feel hopelessly equipped to deal with.

As you can probably tell, these are not my favourite shows to be working. Given the choice, I would avoid such nights like the plague. But I’m sure all my colleagues have a pretty similar attitude toward such these shifts, so there is a kind of burdening, unavoidable obligation to take a turn with them once in a while. If there was a way to weasel out of them, I certainly would; and tonight I had a brain-wave. I figured that if I could just get myself on that sex offenders register thing, then I’d no longer be allowed to work with the younger market. My burden would be lifted forever more. Luckily the evening has passed without incident, so for the moment at least, such action does not seem necessary. Still, it’s nice to have an option of a ‘get out of jail free’ card, banked away at the back of my mind.

No comments: