Pages

Sun 22nd Feb 2009

Today I called around my Mom’s to pick her up for our obligatory Sunday lunch. When I arrived, she was watching the Coronation Street omnibus and we had to wait until it finished before we could leave. Sitting through this popular long-running soap was mentally torturous. I was already very hungry, and to make matters worse, the Barlows were having a dinner party; although truth be told, from what I could tell Ken’s heart wasn’t really in it. This seemed a shame, as during a disagreement between the couple, Deirdre was preparing what looked like a wonderful prawn cocktail and even though this dish wouldn’t ordinarily be my first choice, at that moment I’d have given anything to eat old Deidre’s starter. I wondered if anyone had ate this in real life, but I suspect they just threw it away after they’d finished filming the scene. Gutting.

Eventually the show finished and we could finally head off to the restaurant to get our Sunday grub. As the Menus arrived I’d already decided this was certainly a day for multiple courses. I perused through the starters and noticed they had Prawn Cocktail (which shouldn’t have been too surprising, given how common the dish is). As I’ve already mentioned, this is not usually my first choice of dish, but today I found myself really wanting to order one. So I did.

This largely, is all I have to say about the matter. I’ll concede it is not the most epic or exhilarating yarn in the world. There are no hidden allegorical meanings to my tale. In a nutshell, I am merely telling you that the fictional soap character Deidre Barlow, inspired me to eat a Prawn Cocktail. A humble message yes, but nevertheless one I believe to be indicative of the certain charming surprise one can discover by keeping a blog. And yes, I did just use the word ‘surprise’. Ok, it may not be a twist befitting of Hitchcock’s most masterful works, I grant you. But when I woke up this morning, never in a million years would I have guessed I’d be typing the (slightly intriguing) words “Deidre Barlow inspired me to eat a prawn cocktail” at some point!

And anyone else who reckons they foresaw this entry is lying.

No comments: