Pages

Mon 12th Jan 2009

Living as an untidy and disorganised slob may have short term advantages, but that doesn't make life devoid of longer term annoyances. Today I tried to start tidying my Hotmail account. It is generally used as a dumping ground for unread ‘website notifications’ (‘Mandy just sent you a Hi Five’ it says. Did she? Well Mandy can sod off!) and all the unread marketing junk (‘Thanks for buying your groceries at Tesco sir. Can I take your email address?’, they ask. ‘Yeah sure’ I think to myself, ‘have my Hotmail account then you can stick it with the rest of the crap I’ll never open’).

Rather disconcertingly, I have tallied up 1114 unread emails of the stuff. I can’t just click the option to clear out the lot in one large sweep, because rather stupidly, I also have some necessary mails which I need to keep (like account log in details, personal messages and other attachments that I might require one day - but when it comes to a time that I actually do need them, probably won’t have a clue where I left them anyway).

Having to sort through 1114 mails feels like one hell of a daunting task. I shall probably break the work up, and try to tackle a target of X amount of emails per day. But in the back of my mind, I’ll always be acutely aware that for every day that passes, even more of the buggers are flying into in my inbox.

If the Greek Gods were around in these modern times, Sysyphus wouldn’t be condemned to spend eternity rolling a boulder up an endless mountain. I reckon he’d be assigned the task of clearing out my Hotmail account. At least until some humanitarian crusade insisted on returning his rock back to him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We weren't ready for email.