Pages

Sat 24th Jan 2009

This evening I was invited to a 60th birthday/retirement party. I didn’t know many of the people there, since it was a friend’s mother’s party. But this made my invitation all the more flattering.

I’ve started to notice that I’ve perhaps never developed past the stage of looking like a self-consciously awkward teenager whenever I’m in large groups of people. Other humans who aren’t me, make parties look much easier. Or is it all just comparative because I make them look hard? I don’t really know how to explain it. It’s like some folks I don’t know will try to make me feel really welcome. They’ll do things like coming up and talking to me, apropos of nothing; yet I never seem able to instigate anything like that. I just keep myself exclusively in a corner with people my own age, huddled inside the comfort of my familiar social circle. Even at 30, I still don’t feel myself of enough interest to approach someone I don’t really know and make polite conversation. I always feel like I’d need a pretty good reason to do so – perhaps if I needed to alert someone to the fact their child is on fire in the corner, something like that . And even then I’d still be hesitant. The poor kid would be charred to death before I found a polite opportune opening with which to interrupt any conversations their parent’s might be having.

Exactly how am I ever going to get to that position where I can put others at ease with my rapport, when I’m still so pre-occupied by making my rapport feel at ease? Is the skill of looking out for other’s comfort just something which one acquires at a certain age? All my parent’s generation make it look easy – just like how all their parent’s generation made the New Year sing-a-long to “Auld Lang Syne” look easy.

Don’t get me wrong though, I did have a genuinely good time. My self-consciousness is not of such quantity that it actually spoils my enjoyment of parties (let me assure you, that hasn’t happened for at least a year). And neither do I really consider myself aloof. This is nothing more than a small acknowledgement, that maybe I could give a bit more of myself to others, as they do to me. Which is rather ironic, given that I’ve just written a whole entry about someone else’s celebratory occasion and yet have written solely about no-one but my own uninteresting self.

Actually, perhaps that might be the answer? The next time I get invited to a party, I could get all these blogs printed and stapled, then hand them out to guests?

But I suppose if anything, that would be giving an over-compensatory, possibly unnecessary amount of myself to give.

Too much too soon.

Especially if they were merely inviting me to link arms for “High Ho Silver Lining” at the time.

No comments: