Pages

Mon 9th Mar 2009

We’ve been asked to ensure our offices are manned at all times throughout the working day, so there is always someone to answer the phones.

Well, durr!!

It seemed an odd and unnecessary request. I share mine with 2 other colleagues, which means there is always perpetually at least one person in the office at all times. I took mock offence in the underlying implication that we must be frequent ‘skivers’ and ‘deserters’.

“I didn’t mean it like that…” he stuttered, “I’m just saying.. One of you could go off for dinner… and sure, there’d still be two of you here to keep an eye on the phones. But what if both of you needed the toilet? The office would be unmanned then wouldn’t it?”

You’ve got to admire this attempt of justification, but it didn’t make the statement any less bizarre. Are two of us really that likely to head off to the toilet at the same time? I suppose it is possible, but in reality it’s neither very likely nor practical. For starters, how would it work exactly? Assumedly one would sit down on the porcelain first, then the other would have to try and aim their spray of urine into the hole between their legs. This seems like a difficult skill to master. And I for one have neither the time nor inclination to bother trying. Even if I could manage such an action, I’d probably just keep it to myself rather than inviting a work colleague to join me in a tandem toilet trip. I’d rather be accused of being a deserter than a pervert.

No comments: